Thursday, August 30, 2018

Russel Nakken

 We were able to welcome our own son home from his mission on August 8, 2018. He had been serving in the Lima Peru Central Mission. All of his siblings, Sara, Michael, Rachel, Jessica and Michael's wife, Markie were all able to come and meet him with us at the Santa Barbara Airport. He was also met by four nieces that he had never met and also Myla and Harvey who already knew him as their favorite uncle! No one needs to wonder if we were excited or what it was like to be reunited after two years. It was just so good to see him again and it was so nice for us all to be together. He was released via a skype call  from his stake president. I was so grateful for those few hours we had together when he was still an official missionary. There was something about having all three of us serving as missionaries at the same time that I will never forget. I can't explain it, but it was discernable. I was sad when he was told that he could take his name tag off. I think it made me realize how much I never want the day to come when I have to remove mine. It is such a blessing to be apart of this work of salvation. I am so proud of all of our children who have had the opportunity to serve. We are so proud of the person that Russel has become. We are sure that this wasn't the homecoming that he had envisioned when he left Cedar City two years ago, but we know he will be blessed for being flexible and being supportive of our service! It is so good to be together! It ha also helped soften my heart for when our missionaries return to their homes. I won't be as sad any more because I want everyone to experience what I felt in welcoming someone you love back home!

 President Nakken and Elder Nakken- Santa Barbara Airport
 Elder Nakken and Sister Nakken
 President, Elder and Sister Nakken
 Elder Nakken with Kana Ursua, Nora Nakken, Nellie Needham, and Lucy Lasater
Myla, Harvey, Lucy, Kana, Nellie and Nora waiting for Uncle Russ

So good to be together!

No comments:

Post a Comment